Monday, August 13, 2007


Well August 9th was the surgery and I think it went fine. I started doing leg lifts while in the recovery bed coming out of anesthesia. The nurses were actually laughing at me while scolding me, but hey, the doctor said start as soon as you feel you can. I don't think the anesthesia wiped me out too bad and I remember most everything and my conversations. I was able to walk to the car and never had to use my crutches. Even so, Becki would not let me drive home. When we got home I walked around the driveway watering plants just to have something to do and to keep from stiffening up too much. I used the ice machine a lot and focused on keeping the leg very straight. The doctor said that the biggest problem was having your leg bent and then not being able to get it straight. I would sleep with it elevated and very straight. I think I am now having difficulty getting it to bend enough. There is no way I could a regular quad stretch.


I walked about a mile or so on Friday and started doing more of the quad exercises. It was amazing how the quad completely shut down, but it was also amazing how quickly it reactivated. It is still weak, but it does respond. Saturday We took Norman to the lake and I walked 2 miles on the levy. Sunday we went to the lake again and I did 2.5 miles along with 4 sets of the stairs/hill. I then managed a trip to the gym and 7 miles on the stationary, some easy waking, 15 minutes on the elliptical and then some leg extensions on the machine (very low weight). It was encouraging, but I still have a long way to go. This morning I got up with Becki and did 5 brisk walking miles at Terry Hershey Park with Becki and Marie. I am sure I slowed them down quite a bit. The knee hurts more when I look at it since the swelling is still there. The pictures are from Sunday, but it not any better looking today.


It does still feel like it can hyper extend and feels like it is about to give out sometimes. I guess that is normal. I am back at the office today and will work through Thursday (first PT is Thursday too). Friday I have my follow up with the surgeon (Dr. Michael Mann) and then we leave for our driving trip to New Mexico. Hopefully I will rehab very quickly in the nice mountain air.


Well, that is my surgery update. Boring and details for me to remember it by later when I get discouraged.

3 Comments:

At 9:21 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Scott,
You need to figure out how to embed music in the blog. I would think that "she's got legs" by zztop would be the perfect accompanyment to the shaved leg picture that you posted. HEheheh. That said, the swelling really doesn't look all that bad. I bet it goes down rather quickly and that you rehab it quickly as well.

I agree about the strengthening and core exercises. Perhaps I'll start doing core work on my two easy days a week. Something would clearly be better than nothing.

Your blog and pictures reminds me that I need to dig out the camera, battery rechargers, and memory card reader. Looking forward to New Mexico!!!

Tom

 
At 3:11 PM , Blogger Nuke Runner said...

Hope your recovery goes well. Will you be able to run any of the Fall series?

 
At 5:46 PM , Blogger Gaslight ;-) said...

That's swollen? Your knees must be REALLY bony on a regular day. I know, room to talk.

Hope you are having a blast hobbling around New Mexico; I have to go back to work tomorrow. Waah!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home