Friday, April 25, 2008

A Dead Duck in Boston

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could write out a long report (and likely will eventually), but Boston took its revenge on me this year. This was Boston number 5 (2003, 2004, 2005, 2006) and I had always run strong races in the previous versions. Factors beyond my control (mixed with my own stubbornness) conspired to humble me and my ambitions. I can no longer say that I have never bonked in a marathon.

I had a bit of bronchitis, was still on antibiotics, had not run in a week and half and only 3 times the last 3 weeks. I tore up the trials course watching an incredible day of racing. Those women were awesome and worth the trip alone. That afternoon I was exhausted and my legs were actually sore. I chalked it up to some dead legs from lack of fine tuning and drank a few glasses of wine. Got in bed by 11:30 and up at 4:45.

Met up with the FE crew by the tennis courts, but left before the picture and did not make it back in time. Joined the sub3 group about 2 minutes before the start. The pace felt fast. I held on for a few miles and then began making deals with myself. OK, no sub3, but dial it back and then try a negative split. OK, there will not likely be a negative split, but keep a solid pace. OK, keep a solid pace through Wellesley. I actually accomplished that one. Wellesley was a blast and I soaked it in. They love it when you blow kisses.

Ok, try and run decently until the top of heartbreak. How about just keep running until the top of heartbreak? Settle for keep running until you get to the Newton hills. Another goal accomplished. I should have learned to keep setting easier goals. I really did not want to resort to walking, but it was going to happen. My breathing had been bad since early in the race. It just hurt in my diaphragm and down into my stomach. I guess three weeks of coughing is not the best race prep. My legs were toast and my right knee was screaming (it was surgically repaired in August). I saw a buddy who had been one of the pacers for the 3 hour group. He was in serious pain and we walked a while together.

I mostly jogged on in, but boy was I being passed by everyone. I suspect that I will later find a wave2 bib that beat me (not just by chip time, but to the finish line). I bet someone from wave 2 ran a 3:06ish. I was cramping and miserable, but made it to the bags and then stumbled into the Park Plaza Hotel because it was close. I collapsed against a wall in their lobby for 20 minutes. I had to find some youg and fresh runner to pull my butt off of the floor. I then found the HP party and had a coke and a beer before walking the mile back to my hotel.

Now for the horrible stats.

5k ------ 21:06
10k ----- 42:48
15k-----1:05:00
20k-----1:27:52
half-----1:32:55
25k-----1:51:39
30k-----2:17:49
35k-----2:51:41
40k-----3:23:59
finish---3:36:30

We had dinner at Grill23 - great place. Cheruiyot was eating there too. One of our friends was celebrating his 50th Bday that day and Cheruiyot was super nice and patient in taking a photo and making small talk. My friend was a bit embarrassed that someone bothered him. A really cool thing - when Cheruiyot left he received a standing ovation. Our very Bostonish waiter said that was only the 2nd time something like that had happened there. The other one was for Bill Russell. We ended up at an Irish pub drinking and listening to music while watching some Canadian chicks dance like they had jogged a 5k. They had zipped through the marathon and were then schooling me in how to drink beer.

The Boston Marathon is AWESOME!

1 Comments:

At 4:48 AM , Blogger Gaslight ;-) said...

How's the recovery coming?

Ready for Malmo? :-D

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home